November 21, 2011

Hometown

I just got back from 6 nights in Gruver taking care of Sweetie. It was strange to be there without Clay or the kids. It was the first time in our 23 years of being together that I have been there alone. It made me think. Made me look at things a little differently and it made me love Clay even more. He loves home, loves his family, loves his hometown.

I had to get out the house a few afternoons. Ran to the DQ for Happy Hour, to the Gruver grocery store one day and then drove over to Spearman the next day. I started driving and thinking. We grew up pretty similar. Church, big family, good parents, small town...... Except his little town in somewhat isolated and the scenery is very different than North Texas. Wide open spaces and not many trees. Pretty in its own way and pretty to Clay.

Anyway.... I just thought.... We all need a place that is our own, a place we belong. A hometown. A place with roots and memories. I feel the same way about little Josephine. I love to go to my mom's, walk in the back door, grab a diet coke and go sit in the living room next to her chair. It is home, My home, my safe place, my people, my mama.

I saw Gruver that way more than ever this trip.  It is Clay's home, his safe place, his people, his mom and dad, his place. I sure hope we have created this for our kids. A place that is their very own, a safe place, a fun and happy place....and most of all a place where they know their mom and dad love them no matter what.

BTW Clay's thinks the Gruver Dairy Queen is the only place that can make a cherry vanilla cream dr pepper. (who puts cream in dp anyway)..... He love the seasons, the freezing cold, the snow, the smell of cow poop, playing games  and most of all  his mom's cooking.  Guess What?   I love him because all of that matters to him. His town.His people. His place.

Thoughts to ponder.... if you do not have a place....create one for your family. Make your house a home, a happy place...a good place... a place your kids will want to come to.

No comments:

Post a Comment